Thursday, February 1, 2007

A Canvas for Dreams

Trying to lay out all my thoughts on the nature of time and eternity is proving to be a lot harder than I planned. So, in the mean time, I wanted to post this poem I wrote a few years ago that I recently re-worked. It's about our human condition leading to an existential crisis, and how our imagination is a tool to apprehend things we cannot immediately perceive so that we may have hope in the unseen. I've found that reading a poem out loud can really give it it's full effect. Truly, reading a poem hastily and silently is like pinching your nose while chugging fine wine.


A Canvas for Dreams

A coin fed to the slot
and the movie keeps showing.
A body fed to the world
and life keeps going.

Within these bodies boil
awakened minds like bare seashores
beaten by waves of ever-expanding reality.
People quarrel like toy soldiers in miniature dirt wars.
Toil and till and try without conclusion,
answers make more questions
until the end is disillusion.

What to do with such inquistive beings
but to give them imagination,
a window to infinity,
a canvas for dreams.

Let them sit together with canvas in hand
on safe peaceful shores of warm ivory sand.
Let them paint pictures
of fields without fences
and endless oceans without swells.

Let their canvases show them heaven,
and their flight from death and hell.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

g matt....i had no idea how deep you are! why don't you join myspace.com like everyone else in the states to stay in contact? all of you friends and your brother and you two favorite cousins are on it!
i always forget to go to you blog...if you are on myspace though we can all check your page!
think about it!
take care, we love you.
erica

Matt said...

Hey erica!

Long time no speak. Yeah, I guess I've always been more of a deep thinker than a deep speaker so I decided to devote a blog to being ''deep'' outloud. Are you still writing poetry? I'd be happy to read something of yours and post it. And, I guess I've been avoiding myspace...I only really have solid internet connection at work and myspace is blocked here. But, I might give in to the myspace epidemic one of these days, I'll let ya know. I hope all is well.

Matt

PS

''Erica'' is on of the only popular western-sounding names here except it's spelled ''Erika'' and the 'r' sounds like a soft 'd.'