Thursday, January 18, 2007

I saw I

Maybe a good place to start with this blog is to describe the first experience that gave me an eternal perspective on my life and how it changed me forever.

I was about 10 or 11 years old. While trying to sleep my thoughts bounced around to whatever topics are in the mind of a 10 or 11 year old. But suddenly, my thoughts seemed to echo just long enough for me to catch a glimpse of something I had never seen before. I, for the first time, observed the fact that I thought and could think, and that awareness burst into a chain of affirmations that rocked my young mind. I found out, in a profound, earth-shattering way, that I exist.

Needless to say, I continued to have trouble falling asleep. I didn't know how to proceed with this new found knowledge. This awareness became systemic and uncontainable. It spread like wildfire through my psyche. My self-aware mind became a kiln cooking the sand castles of my young consciousness and, in their place, left fortresses of reflective glass; every thought showed me my own mind and reaffirmed my existence.

Two main affirmations sprung forth from my self-realization. First, I am an individual being with free will who can choose to act and think independent of conditioning and, second, that emergent quality will exist forever. I cannot say that these affirmations came about by logic or rational inference, or that they were even completely comprehensible to me at the time, but I can say that they were self-evident in light of my self-awareness. Once I saw my mind the freedom and the eternal quality of it were intuitive and unavoidable.

And so, I was met with an existential dilemma. The prospect of existing forever came flooding in. The concept of eternity daunted me. It was similar to my self-realization but instead of renewing my mind it shed a somber light. Suddenly life was terribly real and almost onerous. I didn't want to live forever. Eternity looked like a purposeless abyss that nothing could fill, an existential black hole. I tried to hold my ideas of God and heaven up to eternity but even that could not assuage. So my spirit that had just been discovered already seemed dismantled. I broke under the weight of my existence, eternity and the bitter reality of it all. I didn't want to exist forever be it in heaven or hell, and so I cried.

For the first time, I cried with my body, my mind and my spirit. As a being standing defenseless on the doorstep of existence peering over the precipice of eternity, I had been broken. I admitted that I had no answers and fear welled up inside drowning me. In the deep unexplored corridors of my being I admitted my total vulnerability and defeat surrendering to whatever lay outside myself.

But that is when God actively stepped in and comforted me. I was not the active agent. I did not conjure up my idea of God and hold it to the harsh reality of existence for protection like before, God was the active agent this time not me. A personal, loving and caring God willingly rescued me. Before, I held onto my idea of God and expected that idol to do my bidding. With my prideful heart and arrogant spirit I thought I could wield God like a weapon and strike down my fear. But, only by a broken spirit and utter humility could I truly cry for God to step into my life, and He did.

I cannot prove it. I cannot completely understand it. But I feel God in the depths of my being in the same way that I know, intuitively, that my mind is free and that it will exist forever.

4 comments:

concerned citizen said...

Hi matt! Having been raised a Christian & later in my life being a Christian myself for for ten years( I have the dubious distinction of having been baptized in water 3 times)Although, I'm no longer one now. I've had a conversion like yours except I was an adult at the time. It was like you've described. I belived it was the Christian God. To make long story short. Being a person who values intellecual honesty, I couldn't reconcile my own logic & reason to some things Christianity was asking me to believe. I thought the scope of it was too small. So I bowed out. Now I call myself an Agnostic secular Humanist.It's more of a honest assesment about how I feel.

I guess what I'm asking you is, do you believe in higher consciousness? Do you think Christianity can be improved on? That maybe the Christian God is primitive?

Matt said...

l>t,

Hi, thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Great questions:

First, ''Do you believe in higher consciousness?''

In college I fell away from Christianity and explored just about every philosophy and religion under the sun. And the only one that I considered myself any sort of practitioner of was Buddism/yoga (I can't tell where some eastern religions start and stop so let's say it was a general far-east worldview). I did a lot of, attempted, transcedental meditation in search of a higher consciousness. I must say that some of those experiences were profound and mind-expanding, but I found that that's all they were, ''experiences.'' It was very relaxing and even spiritual but transcedental meditation was not the cultivation of the creature-Creator relationship that I hunger for, which leads to true spiritual fullfilment. It's as if clearing my mind and allowing allowing nothingness to cleanse me in meditation was a spiritual hot tub experience while a loving submission to God almighty (Who exists independent from myself) was true spiritual substance and sustenance.

Second, ''Do you think Christianity can be improved on?''

My beliefs tell me that God exists in all fullness already whereas I, finite and being filled, am the one that needs to be improved upon by the complete and perfect God. So, I think my understanding of and relationship with God can certainly be improved but there are foundational beliefs that, once abandoned, take Christ out of Christianity.

Maybe this is a continuation of the previous answer, but I believe that there is a point at which I am, as a believer, connected intimitely with God: my spirit. Indeed, God has literally given me His Spirit and it stands as an unshakeable firmament at the core of my being. So, I see a one-ness with God in that sense. That Spiritual union attempts to spread through my mind but often I don't allow it. So I can see certain similarities between the Christian God and ''higher consciousness'' but with the essential difference that I remain an individual, free being. And even in total, faithful submission to my Creator I, in a way unknown to me, remain myself.

And third, ''Maybe the Christian God is primitive?''

Perhaps I already answered this, but this question seems to be pointing to the possibility that a spirituality based on faith is primitive. I will side-step the idea that my faith isn't blind but is based on the historical events (the resurrection being the cornerstone) and self-evident truths (Christian morality, ect...) expressed in the Bible that have rung true in my own life.

I see new-age and eastern religions as enlightenment through process wherein truths are attained (and almost created)through the practioner's own work. Whereas, with Christianity, Truth exists as a living, complete God that chooses to reveal Himself to the faithful. So the question is: Which is more primitive, enlightenment through process or faith in an almighty Creater?

(Primitive is kind of a tricky word. I know that the post-modern idea is that truth is subjective and relative but, even if it's considered primitive, I ascribe to the idea that truth is objective, it exists whether I believe in it or not, and it is up to me to accept it and act accordingly.)

In my experience, enlightenment through process tries to uncover something that is currently hidden and turns into a hunt for the end of a subjective rainbow, whereas faith in a complete, objective God is my allowance for God to reach me. In other words, Truth currently exists completely and is ready to enter my life, I just need to trust in it. I asked, seeked and knocked and, in new-age semantics, the ''higher consciousness'' reached into my life without me having to jump through any spiritual hoops (I certainly hope truth does not depend on my ability to jump through those hoops because I might not be very good at it).

When it comes down to it, there is still a lot of mystery about the nature of God. I know that He provided the way for me to be reconciled to Him through Christ but I cannot begin to describe the manifold glory of God. I ask Him almost daily to reveal Himself to me but, honestly, I can't tell you much about Him who ''is a consuming fire and dwells in unapproachable light'' and who simply ''IS''. But I can say that He is not a primitive form of truth that can be improved upon. In my view, He is The Truth that simply needs to be submitted to and, as the distance between you and Him closes, you improve.

I hope I answered your questions. Thanks again!

concerned citizen said...

matt, thanks for taking the time to give me such well thought out answers. Not quite as "primitive" what I expected. :)

I agree with you that the truth about God is out there somewhere(objective, yes but subjective to our ability to understand it) & right now I'm going on the therory that the concept of the God of Moses/Jesus/Muhammud fits into the scheme of religious evolution(for want of a better word)I believe religion should be examined from the point of veiw of human reason. & what is avalable to us in the way of science & understanding for our times, trusting our own human intuition.

Matt said...

I>t:

I understand that mode of thinking. I especially understand it from the worldview that everything is evolving. But, I no longer accept such a view as it, after taking the implication of such thought to the end of the line, is basically pantheism.

Instead, I accept the idea that God has already and completely revealed his objective truth through the living Word, Jesus Christ. I do think that our subjective understanding of God is in flux and evolves but it should do so within the parameters of the God's revealed truth; otherwise, we would be able to accept as truth whatever thoughts and feelings we have about God, and then risk regress or error in our understanding.

I know I cannot often trust my own line of thinking, and I especially distrust my feelings as both are inherently fickle and wavering. So, I lean on God's objective truth, which has been revealed to man through the scriptures. (None of which I would even consider if Christ did not conquer death.)

Thanks again for your comments, let me know if you have any more questions or topic suggestions. I'm always interested in hearing other perspectives.