Sunday, February 18, 2007

Five quotes

I've been tagged by an atheistic intellectual sparing partner of mine, beepbeep. I assume that once ''tagged'' you must continue a certain theme in a post, which, for this tag, is ''your five favorite quotes.'' We don't agree on much but we share the common ground that our existence demands stringent inquiry and discussion. So, here's to you beepbeep:

1.) ''People like you and I, though mortal of course like everyone else, do not grow old no matter how long we live...[We] never cease to stand like curious children before the great mystery into which we were born.''
- Albert Einstein

2.) ''My eyes collide head-on with stuffed graveyards.
False gods, I scuff
At pettiness which plays so rough
Walk upside-down inside handcuffs
Kick my legs to crash it off
Say okay, I've had enough
What else can you show me?''
-from ''It's all right ma''' by Bob Dylan

3.) ''Christianity simply does not make sense until you have faced the sort of facts I have been describing. Christianity tells people to repent and promises them forgiveness. It therefore has nothing (as far as I know) to say to people who do not know they have done anything to repent of and who do not feel that they need forgiveness.''
- C.S. Lewis

4.) "I do not choose to be a common man. It is my right to be uncommon. I seek opportunity to develop whatever talents God gave me--not security. I do not wish to be a kept citizen, humbled and dulled by having the state look after me. I want to take the calculated risk; to dream and to build, to fail and to succeed. I refuse to barter incentive for a dole. I prefer the challenges of life to the calm of utopia. I will not trade freedom for beneficence or my dignity for a handout. I will never cower before any earthly master nor bend to any threat. It is my heritage to stand erect, proud and unafraid; to think and act myself, enjoy the benefit of my creations and to face the world boldly and say--'This, with God's help, I have done.' All this is what it means to be an American."
-Dean Alfange

5.) And one that belongs in every quote list:

''Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.''
- Oscar Wilde

2 comments:

beepbeepitsme said...

RE: matt

Thanks for participating and you have chosen some interesting quotes.

To keep the meme going you need to tag a couple of other bloggers. I tagged 5. It can be less than that if you want.

So. tag a few of your religious blog friends if you want to continue the meme, or tag a couple of atheists - and see what quotes they like. :)

Anonymous said...

Well written article.